- Green garam dal whole (Pachai payaru) – 1 cup (soak in water for 10 hrs)
- Rice – 2 tbsp (soak this with dal for 10 hrs)
- Onion – 1 medium
- Ginger – 1/4 stick
- Green chilli – 4 to 5 (adjust to your spice level)
- Salt – to taste
To garnish on top of dosa:
- Onion – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Green chilli – 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- For batter: Grind and make a batter of soaked Green gram dal whole and Rice, Onion, Ginger and Green Chili. Add Salt to the batter.
- For garnishing: Heat Oil in a pan and add Cumin seeds. Once the seeds starts spluttering, add Green chili, Onion and fry.
- For Pesarattu: Prepare dosa using the ground batter. Then place 1½ tsp of Onion garnish on top of the dosa and serve.
- For Pesaru Upma: Instead of onion garnish, place 2 tbsp of rava upma on top of the dosa and serve.
Goes well with: Ginger chutney.