- Idly rice- 4 cups
- Fried chana dal (Pori kadalai)- 1½ cup
- Red chili- 6
- Sesame seeds- 1 spoon
- Salt and Oil- as required
- Soak the Idly rice for 2 hours.
- Grind Idly rice and Red chili, make a nice and thick batter.
- Grind Pori kadalai with out any water. Sift and then again grind the coarse particles. Continue this till you make fine powder.
- Mix ground batter, powdered pori kadalai, Sesame seeds and Salt. Make a soft dough(like chapati dough).
- Heat Oil in a pan. Take a portion of the dough, place it into the Murukku mold.
- Once the oil is hot enough, squeeze the murukku over the hot oil. Do not over crowd the pan. You can see the bubbles of oil immediately.
- Once these bubbles are almost stopped, remove from oil and drain them on paper towels.