- Bitter gourd – 1/4 kg
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Hing – a pinch
- Masala powder or Sambar powder – 1 or 2 tspn
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Jaggery or sugar – 1 or 2 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tspn
- Wash and remove the seeds from Bitter gourd. Cut them into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Then extract the tamarind juice from it.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Curry leaves and Onion. Fry till Onion turns golden brown.
- Add bitter gourd and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Add Turmeric powder, Sambar or Masala powder, Hing and Salt.
- Cover and cook till it is 3/4th cooked. Then add tamarind juice and jaggery to it.
- Let it boil till the bitter gourd is cooked and dry.
Goes well with: Rice