Ingredients:(Serves 4-5 People)
- Black eyed peas(Thattai payiru or Kaaramani) – 2 cups
- Tamarind – Lemon size ball
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Onion – 1
- Brinjal – 3 to 4 (small)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Hing – a pinch
- Masala powder – 3 teaspoons(You can also use chili powder. Use 1 or 2 tspns which depends on your spice level)
- Sugar – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame Oil
- Soak Black eyed peas in water for 2 hours. Cook till they are tender. Don’t overcook.
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes. After that squeeze and extract the tamarind juice. Add water each time to extract the juice. Extract the tamarind juice of 2 to 3 cups.
- Chop onion into small pieces.Cut brinjal in length-wise. Keep all this aside.
- Heat 2 to 3 tspns of Oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it splutters add curry leaves and Onion, fry till it turns into transparent.
- Add brinjal and fry for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add Turmeric powder , Hing, Masala or Chili powder, Salt and fry till the smell of masala goes out. Add oil if necessary.
- Add Tamarind juice, a pinch of Sugar and 1 or 2 cups of water. Bring this to boil once and then keep the stove in medium flame. Cook till the oil oozes out and the curry becomes thick.
- Finally add the cooked black eyed peas and bring this to boil once. Then remove from heat.
Goes well with: White Rice, Idly, Dosa
Variation: Use any beans(like Kidney beans, Chick peas) instead of black eyed peas.