- Bottle gourd – 2 cups
- Chana dal (Kadalai paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1/2
- Green Chili – 1/2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Hing – 2 to 3 pinches
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tspn
Grind and make a paste of:
- Coconut -1 ½ tbspn
- Garlic – 1 or 2
- Green chili – 1/2
- Fennel seeds (perunjeeragam) – 1/2 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Pressure cook chana dal. Cut Onion and Bottle gourd into small pieces.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Curry leaves, Green Chili and Onion.
- Fry till Onion turns golden brown.
- Add Bottle gourd, Turmeric powder, Hing, Salt and Water. Cover and Cook.
- Grind and make a paste of Coconut, Garlic, Fennel seeds, Cumin seeds and Green chili.
- Once the bottler gourd is cooked, add the cooked Chana dal and the ground paste.
- Let it boil till it becomes semi-dry or dry.
Goes well with: Rice, Chapathi