- Bottle gourd – 2½ cups
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Curd – 1/2 cup (beaten)
Grind and make a paste of:
- Green chili – 3
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Oil – 1 or 2 tspn
- Scrape the outer skin of Bottle gourd and cut into cubes.
- Boil water in a pan. Add Bottle gourd, Turmeric powder, Salt and cook.
- Meantime, grind and make a fine paste of Coconut, Cumin seeds,Green Chili and Garlic by adding little water.
- Once the Bottle gourd is almost cooked, add the ground paste and cook for 10 minutes or till the raw smell goes.
- Then reduce the heat to low and add the beaten Curd. Mix well and remove from heat once the curd is just warm. Do not let this boil.
- Heat Oil in another pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal, Once it starts spluttering add Fenugreek seeds and Curry leaves. Remove from heat and pour this mix to the curry.
Goes well with: Rice