- Brinjal – 2 (tender ones) or 16 -20 cubes
- Onion – 1 (small)
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tspn
- Turmeric powder -1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1 tspn (adjust to your taste)
- Coriander powder – 1½ tspn
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Water – 1 to 2 cups
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tspn
Roast and make powder of :
- Peanuts – 2 tspn
- Chana dal (kadalai paruppu) – 1 tspn
- Sesame seeds – 2 tspn
- Cut Brinjal into small cubes. Chop Onion and Tomato into small pieces.
- Heat a tspn of Oil in a pan. Add Peanuts and Chana dal, fry till it turns into golden brown or till its cooked. Next, add Sesame seeds and fry till it starts spluttering. Then remove from heat and make a coarse powder of this in blender.
- Heat a tspn of Oil in a pressure cooker. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal, Once it starts spluttering add Curry leaves and Onion.
- Fry Onion till it becomes transparent. Add Ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Then add Tomato, Brinjal, Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Coriander powder, ground powder(Peanuts+Chana dal+Sesame seeds), Salt and Water. Cover and cook for 1 whistle. You can also cook this curry in ordinary pan till the brinjal becomes tender.
- Serve once the steam is released from the cooker.
Goes well with: Plain Rice