- Brinjal – 4
- Tamarind – small lemon size
- Sugar – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame Oil – 4 to 5 tspn
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- Masala Powder or Chili Powder – 1 to 2 tspn (Adjust with your spice level)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tspn
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Slit Brinjal vertically and horizontally. Don’t cut it completely, So that it can hold the stuffing. Refer the picture. Finely chop the Onion and keep it aside.
- Soak Tamarind in water for 15 minutes. After that extract about 2 cups of tamarind juice from it and keep aside.
- Mix finely chopped Onion, Masala powder, Turmeric powder and 2 to 3 tspns of Sesame Oil in a small bowl.
- Fill this mix inside the brinjals without breaking it. Do this carefully. Keep all the brinjals ready.
- Heat 2 to 3 tspns of Sesame oil in a pan. Once the Oil is hot, add the stuffed Brinjalas and the remaining stuffing, fry till all the brinjals turn into light purple color.
- Add extracted Tamarind juice, Sugar and Salt o it. Keep the stove in high heat and bring the curry to boil completely, then reduce the heat to medium .
- Let this curry cook in medium heat till the curry becomes thick and Oil oozes out. Turn the Brinjals once in a while to cook all the sides.
- Finally do the tampering. Heat a tspn of Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once the seeds starts spluttering add Curry leaves and pour this mix to the Brinjal tamarind curry.
Goes well with: White rice