- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup
- Brinjal – 1
- Onion – 1 small
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Hing – 3 to 4 pinches
- Chili powder – 1/2 tspn
- Masala powder/ Sambar powder – 1 to 2 tspn
- Jaggery – a small pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Gingelly oil – 3 to 4 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds(vendhayam) – 1/4 tspn
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 sprigs
Grind and make a fine paste of:
- Coconut – 1 or 2 tspn
- Sauf – 1 tspn
- Soak chickpeas overnight. The next day morning, pressure cook with little salt for 3 to 4 whistles.
- Chop Onion and Tomato. Soak Tamarind for 15 minutes. Then extract tamarind juice from it.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Fenugreek seeds and fry till golden brown.
- Add Onion and fry till golden brown. Add Tomato and fry till it becomes soft.
- Add Brinjal and fry for 2 minutes. Add Turmeric powder, Hing, Chili powder and Masala powder and fry for another 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add water, Jaggery and boil for 5 minutes. Add tamarind water and boil for another 10 minutes.
- Then add cooked Chickpeas and the ground paste of coconut and sauf. Boil till the curry is thick. Remove from heat.
- For tampering: Heat Oil in another pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add curry leaves and pour this to the curry.
Goes well with: Rice