- Small Onion (Chinna Vengayam) – 1.5 cups (peeled)
- Green Chili – 3 to 4
- Hing – 3 to 4 pinches
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 to 4 tspn
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Fried Chana dal Powder (porikadalai podi) – 1 to 2 tspns (Optional)
- Cut Onion into small pieces. Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal and Cumin seeds.
- Once the seeds starts spluttering add green chili and fry for a minute.
- Add Onion and fry till they are light brown.
- Add Salt, Hing and Turmeric powder.
- Sprinkle little water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Fry till it become dry. Sprinkle the fried chana dal powder and remove from heat.