- Dry Fish – 150 grams
- Small Onion (Chinna Vengayam) – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 3 to 5
- Tomato – 2
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Masala powder – 2 to 3 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Cumin powder – 1 tspn
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil (Gingelly oil is preferred)
- Soak Dry fish in water for 5 minutes. Then remove head and bones. Wash Completely in water.
- Cut Onion, Garlic and Tomato into pieces. Soak Tamarind in water for 20 minutes. Then extract juice from it.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Onion, Garlic and fry till they are light brown.
- Add Tomato and fry till they are soft.
- Add Salt, Turmeric powder, Masala powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder, Pepper powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Water and bring the curry to boil once. Then add tamarind juice and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add 1 or 2 tspn of Oil and remove from heat.
Goes well with: Rice, Idly, Dosa
Note: Add less salt to the curry since the dry fish has some amount of salt already.