- Fish – 1 lb
- Small onion(Sambar vengayam) – 6 to 7
- Onion – 1/2
- Tomato – 1
- Tamarind – Small lemon size
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 spoon
- Masala Powder or Sambar powder – 1 ½ spoons
- Mustard seeds and Urad dhal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt and oil – As required
- Clean and cut the Fish into 1 inch cubes.
- Cut Onion and Tomatoes into small pieces.
- Extract the pulp from the Tamarind and keep it aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it splutters add Curry leaves and Onion.
- Fry Onion till it becomes golden brown in color.
- Add Turmeric Powder, Masala Powder and Salt. Fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft. Then add Tamarind pulp and 1 or 2 cups of water.
- Cover the pan with a lid. Keep the stove in medium and cook for 7 to 10 minutes. When its cooked the masala will be blended with the curry and will be thick.
- Finally add Fish to the curry and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or till Fish are cooked. Fish are naturally tender and contain very little connective tissue. So it takes very short time to cook.
Serve with hot rice.