- Green gram(whole) – 1/2 cup
- Bottle guard – 1/2 of a small one
- Onion – 1/2
- Tomato – 1
- Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Masala powder or Chili powder – 1/2 to 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
- Remove the skin of bottle guard and cut it into pieces. Cut Onion and Tomato into pieces. Keep them aside.
- Pressure cook Green gram dal(whole) and keep it aside. To pressure cook, use 1 ½ cups of water for 1/2 cup of dal and leave up to 2 to 3 whistles. Mash the cooked dal coarsely.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and Urad dal to the pan. Once it splutters, add curry leaves and Onion. Fry till Onion turns into light brown.
- Add bottle guard pieces and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add tomatoes and fry till it get mashed.
- Add Hing, Turmeric powder, Masala powder or Chili powder and fry till the raw smell of masala goes.
- Add 2 cups of water to it. Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the bottle guard pieces are cooked.
- Once it is cooked add the coarsely mashed dal, a cup of water and Salt to it . Bring this to boil once and remove from heat.
Goes well with: White rice