Idly batter – Batter prepared with Rice and Urad dal – Batter always present in most of the South Indian homes. Generally, we prepare Idly and Dosa using this batter. Other than that we can prepare Kuzhi paniyaram, Pakoda, Vadai, Bonda, Susiyam and many other dishes with this batter. Sometimes, there will be very less Idly batter left over in the fridge. At those times, all these dishes help you.
Today I’ve prepared simple Bonda with this Idly batter. The consistency of the batter should be somewhat thick to drop into the oil. If your batter is not thick, add 1 or 2 tbspns of rice flour to thicken it. It is a dish that can de prepared in minutes if you’ve batter in hand. Try and Enjoy.
- Idly batter – 1 ½ cups
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1or 2 sprigs
- Green chilies – 2 to 3
- Onion – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – to deep fry bonda
- Chop Onion and Green chilies into small pieces.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal, Once it splutters add Curry leaves, Green chilies, Onion and little Salt.
- Fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and pour this mix to the Idly batter. Stir it.
- Heat 1 to 1 ½ cups of Oil in the same pan. Once the Oil is hot enough, pinch small amount of batter and drop it into the oil. Deep fry these balls till golden brown.
- Drain on Paper towels.
Goes well with: Chutney
Tips: If the Idly batter is not thick, add 1 or 2 tbspns of rice flour to the batter.