- Idly rice – 1 cup
- Salt -to taste
- Oil – 2 to 3 tspn
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Peanuts – 1 tspn
- Chana dal – 1 tbspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Ginger – a small piece
- Red chilies – 2
- Small onion – 4
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Soak Rice for 3 hours. After that grind the Rice into nice and thin batter. Add salt to the batter.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add all the tampering items one by one and fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Pour the batter and stir till it turns into smooth dough. It may be difficult to stir at the end. Keep the stove in medium heat and stir to avoid burning the bottom. Remove from heat and let the dough cools for 5 minutes.
- Start making small dumplings when the dough is warm.
- Steam cook them for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.