- Black Chickpeas (Kondai Kadalai) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3 to 4 tspns
Roast and make a fine paste of:
- Coriander Seeds – 1 ½ tspn
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Dry red chilies – 3 to 4 (Adjust with your spice level)
- Cinnamon – very small piece
- Cloves -2
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Coconut(grated) – 4 to 5 tspns
- Soak Black Chickpeas overnight. After that, Cook Black Chickpeas with little salt till they are tender.
- Heat a tspn of oil. Roast Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Dry red chilies, Cinnamon, Cloves and Fennel seeds till they are light brown. Remove from heat.
- Roast grated Coconut till they are dark brown. Remove from heat.
- Heat a tspn of oil. Add 1/2 of the Onion and fry till they are golden brown and then remove from heat.
- Grind all the roasted ingredients(from step 2,3,4) with a tspn of cooked chickpeas into a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tspns of Oil in a pan, add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once the seeds starts spluttering, add Curry leaves and the remaining Onion(finely chopped) and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add Turmeric powder, ground masala paste and 1 or 2 cups of water(water used for cooking Chickpeas). Cook this masala for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Then add cooked Chickpeas and Salt. Bring this to boil and then reduce the heat. Cook the curry for 7 to 10 minutes in medium heat. Remove from heat and serve.
Goes well with: Rice, Chapathi, Puttu