Idly is a most popular and old south indian dish made of rice and dal batter. It is very soft and very healthy food for all ages. Idlies are prepared using idly molds or idly plates. The idly batter is poured into this idly molds and it will be placed in to a pot that can hold these molds. You can get this idly molds or plates from indian stores.
There are many varieties in idly. Here we have tried a one such variety called Kanchipuram idly.
- Raw rice- 1/2 cup
- Idly rice- 1/2 cup
- Black gram dal- 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Curd- 1spoon
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Pepper corn- 2 tsp
- Dry ginger powder- 1/4 tsp
- Oil and Salt- as required
- Soak Raw rice, Idly rice, Fenugreek seeds and Black gram dal for 4 to 5 hours.
- Prepare the batter by grinding the soaked ingredients coarsely(to the size of rava). Don’t grind it nicely.
- Add Salt and Curd to the batter. Allow the idly batter to ferment.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Cumin seeds,Pepper corn, Gin ger powder and fry for a minute.
- Then mix the fried items to the fermented idly batter.
- Boil water in a pot that can fit the idly molds. Pour a spoon full of batter to the idly molds and place this molds in to the pot. Cover the pot with a lid.
- After about 10 to 20 minutes the idlies will be cooked and soft. Insert a knife to the idly and it shouldn’t stick with the batter. If its done, remove the idlies from molds and serve hot with chutney.