- Rice or Raw rice – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 or 2 pinches
- Oil – 1 or 2 tspn
For the filling(pooranam):
- Chana dal (pottu kadalai) – 4 to 5 spoons(powdered)
- Coconut – 3 to 4 spoons (Grated)
- Sugar or Jaggery – 4 to 5 spoons (Adjust to your taste)
- Ghee – 1 or 2 tspn
- Soak Rice for 3 hours. After that grind the Rice into nice and thin batter. Add half salt to the batter.
- Heat 1 or 2 tspns of Oil in a pan. Pour the batter and stir till it turns into smooth dough. It may be difficult to stir at the end. Keep the stove in medium heat and stir to avoid burning the bottom. Remove from heat and let the dough cools for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix grated Coconut, fried Chana dal powder, Jaggery and Ghee in a bowl. Filling is ready now.
- Pinch a lime size dough, shape the dough into round(or like cup) with your fingers, place the filling, then seal the edges together. Now the raw kozhukattais are ready.
- Steam cook the kozhukattais (in idly plates) for 5 minutes using idly pot or pressure cooker.