- Black eyed peas, Whole moong beans, Chana dal – 2 spoons each or 1/2 cup altogether
- White chickpeas, Black chickpeas, Small red beans – 2 spoons each or 1/2 cup altogether
- Onion – 1/4
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – 1 or 2 sprigs
- Hing – 3 to 4 pinches
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Coriander leaves – few
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee or Oil – 1 tspn
- Coriander seeds – 1 tspn
- Dry Red chilies -2
- Tamarind – size of a tamarind seed
- Coconut (grated) – 3 to 4 tspn
- Soak White Chickpeas, Black Chickpeas, Small Red beans altogether for 8 hours or overnight. After that cook them together with little salt in a pressure cooker.
- Cook Black eyed peas, Whole moong beans and Chana dal in a pan. Once all the beans are cooked, drain the water and keep aside.
- Grind Coriander seeds, Dry Red Chilies, Tamarind, Coconut and make a coarse paste. Add very little water while grinding.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal, Once it starts spluttering add Curry leaves and Onion.
- Fry Onion till they are transparent. Then add Turmeric powder, Hing and Ground paste, saute it till the raw smell goes.
- Add all the cooked beans and salt, fry them for 2 to 3 minutes. Then remove from heat and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Variation: You can use any beans of your choice in this recipe.