Palak paneer is a famous North Indian dish prepared with Spinach and Paneer-Indian Cheese. I’ve used Tofu in place of Paneer in this recipe.
Tofu is a food of Chinese origin made by curdling soymilk and then pressing into blocks. Tofu is very good source of protein, iron, calcium and magnesium. Unlike Paneer, Tofu is low in calories and Cholesterol free. Also, Tofu is cheaper than Paneer.
Have a try on this healthier Palak Tofu and let us know how you liked it.
- Spinach – 250 grams (or a bunch)
- Tofu or Paneer – 15 to 20 cubes
- Onion – ½
- Tomato – 1(big)
- Green chilies – 2 to 3
- Garlic – 2 to 3 pieces
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Ginger garlic paste- 1 tspn
- Cumin powder – 1 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Chili powder – ½ tspn
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil and Ghee or Butter.
- Mince Onion, Garlic and Green chilies into small pieces.
- Prepare Tomato puree (Place the tomato in boiling water for a minute, peel and then grind in blender).
- Fry Tofu cubes in a tablespoon of Ghee or Butter or Oil. Keep this aside.
- Heat little Oil in a pan. Add Garlic and Green chilies, fry till garlic turns into golden brown. Then add Spinach and stir till the leaves are wilted and the amount of spinach reduced considerably. Let this cool.
- Grind the spinach mix in a blender and keep this aside.
- Again heat Oil in a pan. Add Cumin seeds to the Oil. Once it splutters, add Onion and fry till it turns into golden brown.
- Add Ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Add Turmeric powder, Cumin powder, Coriander powder and Chili powder, fry for 2 to 3 minutes or till the raw smell goes off.
- Add Tomato puree and stir this for 2 minutes.
- Add ground Spinach and salt. Cover and cook this for 7 to 10 minutes. Stir this once in a while to avoid burning.
- Finally add the fried Tofu cubes to the spinach curry and stir this for a minute. Remove from heat.
Goes well with: Rice , Chapathi, Naan