- Bitter gourd(pavakkai)- 1/2 piece
- Small onion- 8 to 10
- Curry leaves- few
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Mustard and Urad dal- 1/4 tsp
- Gingelly oil- 3 spoons
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Masala powder-3/4 spoon
- Tamarind- a lemon size
- Jaggery- 3/4 spoon
- Salt- as required
- Soak the Tamarind for 15 mins. Squeeze out the juice from the Tamarind. You can add little fresh Water each time to extract the juice.
- Cut the Bitter gourd into round shapes.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal and Fenugreek seeds.
- Once it splutters add Onions and Curry leaves fry for a minute. Then add Bitter gourd fry till it turns into light brown.
- Add Turmeric powder, Masala powder and fry all the items in Oil till the raw smell goes.
- Then add Tamarind juice, Jaggery, Salt and add fresh water if required.
- Cook till the curry becomes thick.
Goes well with: Hot Rice and Papad.