- Plantain – 20 to 25 (length-wise cut pieces)
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Dry red chili – 1
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1/2 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Onion – 1/2
- Garlic -2 cloves
- Tomato – 1
- Coriander leaves – 2 to 3 sprigs
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Scrape the outer skin of Plantain and cut them into paneer sized cubes. Soak Tamarind in water for 20 minutes, then extract tamarind juice from it. Cut Onion and Tomato into small pieces. Keep everything aside.
- Heat enough Oil in a pan to deep fry the Plantain pieces. Once the Oil is hot enough, drop the Plantain pieces and deep fry them till they are golden yellow. Keep it aside.
- Heat a tspn of Oil in a pan. Add Garlic, Onion and fry till they are golden brown. Then add Tomato and fry till they are little soft.
- Then remove from heat, add Fennel seeds and chopped Coriander leaves. Once this cools completely, grind them into a fine paste.Keep this aside.
- Heat 1 or 2 tspns of Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal and Cumin seeds. Once the seeds starts spluttering, add dry red chili and Curry leaves.
- Then add the ground paste and fry for 2 minutes. Add Turmeric powder,Chili powder, Coriander powder, Cumin powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Tamarind juice, Salt and 1 or 2 cups of water to it. Bring this to boil to once, then reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add deep fried plantain pieces and cook again for 5 minutes.
Goes well with: White rice