- Brinjal – 4 to 5 (small and tender)
- Garlic – 10
- Tamarind – lime size
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tspn
- Dry red chili – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion – 1/2
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1/2 to 1 tspn
- Coriander powder – 2 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame Oil – as required
Grind and make a fine paste of:
- Coconut – 3 to 4 tspn
- Cashew nuts – 3 to 4
- Cut each brinjal into 4 pieces. Chop Onion into fine pieces. Soak Tamarind in water and then extract tamarind juice from it. Grind and make a fine paste of Coconut and Cashew nuts. Peel Garlic and Keep all this aside.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once the seeds starts spluttering, add Fenugreek seeds, Red chilies and Curry leaves. Fry this for a minute.
- Add Onion and Garlic, saute till the Onion turns light brown.
- Add Brinjal pieces and saute them for 5 minutes.
- Then add Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Coriander powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Tamarind juice and Salt to it. Keep the stove in medium heat, cook till Brinjal and Garlic is done. If required, add 1 or 2 cups water while cooking.
Goes well with: white rice