- Potato – 3 (medium size)
- Onion – 1
- Green chiles – 3 to 4(depends on how spicy u like)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tspn
- Mustards seeds and Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Bengal gram dal(kadalai paruppu) – 1 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Coriander leaves – few
- Oil and Salt – As required
- Peel off the Potatoes and cut in to small cubes. Slice the Onion length-wise. Cut the Green chilies length-wise. Keep all this aside.
- Pressure cook the Potatoes by adding a cup of water. In 4 to 5 whistles Potatoes will be over cooked so that you can smash well the potatoes. But if you don’t want the potatoes to be over cooked, then leave 3 whistles. After 5 to 10 minutes, the pressure will be released from the cooker. Strain the extra water from the cooker. Save this extra water in a bowl and you can use this if u need it.
- In the mean time, boil water in a pan and add Onion. Cook the Onion till it turns into soft and transparent.
- Mix the onions with the Potatoes and smash well the Potatoes.
- Add Turmeric powder and salt to the smashed Potatoes.Mix it well.
- Heat 2 to 3 tspns of oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal and Bengal gram dal. Once it splutters, add Green chilies and Curry leaves.Fry it for a minute.
- Add smashed Potatoes and Onion mix to the pan. Add the strained water if you need. This depends on the consistency of the curry you required. Fry this mix for 3 to 5 minutes. Finally Garnish with Coriander leaves.
Goes well with: Poori, Chapathi