- Tamarind – a lime size ball
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Chana dal(Kadalai paruppu) – 2 tspn
- Peanuts – 3 tspn
- Garlic – 2 cloves(chopped)
- Red Chili – 2
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tspn
- Hing – 1/4 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Masala powder or Chili powder – 2 to 3 tspn(Depends on your chili powder)
- Jaggery or Sugar – 1/4 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Sesame oil
- Soak the Tamarind in water for 20-30 minutes. Extract the tamarind juice and keep aside.
- Heat Sesame oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Chana dal, Peanuts and fry till it turns into light brown.
- Add Red chilies, Garlic and Curry leaves, fry till light brown.
- Add Fenugreek powder, Hing, Turmeric powder, Masala powder or Chili powder, fry till the smell of masala goes. Fry these masala items well in sesame oil.
- Add Tamarind juice, Jaggery and Salt. Once it starts boiling, keep the stove in medium heat for 25-30 minutes or until the curry is reduced and thickened. Now the tamarind paste(pulikaichal) is ready.
- In the meantime, cook rice and let it cool. Pour 1/2 tspn of oil over the rice. Add the required pulikaichal and mix well with the rice. Store the remaining pulikaichal in an air-tight container and you can use this for a week.
Goes well with: Papad and Coconut thuvayal