Ingredients: (For 3 people)
- Raw rice or Sona masoori rice – 1 cup
- Grated Jaggery(vellam) – 1 ½ cup
- Cashew nuts – 7 to 10 (As required)
- Dry grapes – 7 to 10 (As required)
- Ghee – As required
- Cook rice in pressure cooker with excess water. For 1 cup of rice, you may use 3 cups of water. The rice should be over cooked. Keep it aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Fry cashew nuts and dry grapes in that ghee and remove it from pan.
- In the same pan, add 2 to 3 tspns of ghee. Then add the cooked rice and grated jaggery.
- Smash the rice well with the jaggery and Stir it continuously.
- Finally add the fried cashew nuts, dry grapes and 2 to 3tspns of ghee.
Ghee is the main ingredient to give the taste for the pongal. So more you use the ghee, more is the taste.