- Toor Dal – 3/4 cup
- Onion – 1/2
- Garlic – 1 or 2 cloves
- Green Chili – 3
- Tomato – 1
- Hing – 2 to 3 pinches
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1/4 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Tamarind – small gooseberry size
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Cumin seeds – 1 tspn
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Oil – 2 to 3 tspn
- Wash dal in water. Cut Onion and Green chili length-wise. Chop Tomatoes. Soak Tamarind in water. Keep all this aside.
- Add Dal, Onion, Garlic, Green chili,Tomatoes, Hing, Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Coriander powder and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker. Cover and Cook for 4 to 5 whistles.
- In the meantime, extract the tamarind water from the soaked tamarind.
- Once the pressure is released from the cooker, add tamarind water and Salt to it. Bring this to boil once and remove from heat.
- Heat Oil in another pan. Add Mustard seeds,Urad dal and Cumin seeds. Once the seeds starts spluttering, add Curry leaves and pour this to the dal and mix well.
Goes well with: White rice