- Soya nuggets(Nutrela) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Brinji leaf – a small leaf
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cloves – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tspn
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1/2 tspn
- Coriander powder – 1 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut(grated) – 3 tspns
- Fennel seeds(perunjeeragam) – 1/2 tspn
- Coriander leaves – 3 to 4 sprigs
- Add Soya Nuggets to boiling water for 5 minutes. Then remove and drop it into the cold water. Squeeze out the water from Soya nuggets and cut it into pieces. Chop Onion and Tomato into pieces. Keep all this aside.
- Grind grated Coconut, Fennel seeds and Coriander leaves with little water in blender.
- Heat 1 or 2 tspns of oil in a pan. Add Brinji leaf, Cinnamon, Cloves, Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Curry leaves and Onion, fry till onion turns into golden brown.
- Add Ginger Garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add Soya nuggets and fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add Turmeric powder, Chili powder, Coriander powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft. Then add the ground ingredients(prepared in step 2), 1 or 2 cups water and Salt to it.
- Cover and cook till the masala blended with the curry and it becomes thick. This may take 15 – 20 minutes.
Goes well with: Chapathi, Naan, Parotta