Tomato Rice / Thakkali Sadam
- Rice (Sonamasoori or Basmati) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Cloves – 2
- Brinji leaves – a small leaf
- Fennel seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Curry leaves – a sprig
- Ginger garlic paste – ½ spoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Masala powder or Chili powder – ½ to 1 spoon (depends on the spiciness of the Chili powder)
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee or Oil- as required
- Cook rice with Salt and keep it aside.
- Slice Onion lengthwise and Chop Tomato into small pieces. Keep them aside.
- Heat Oil or Ghee in a pan. Add Cinnamon, Cloves, Brinji leaf and Sauf. Once it started sizzling add Curry leaves and Onion.
- Fry Onion till it turns into golden brown. Add Ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes.
- Add Turmeric powder, Masala powder or Chili powder, Salt and fry till the raw smell of masala goes. Add little salt since we’ve already salt to the rice.
- Add chopped Tomatoes and fry till it becomes soft. Mash Tomatoes while you sauté it.
- Add the cooked Rice now and mix well with masala and Tomato mix. Remove from heat.
Goes well with: Potato fry, Raita or any Chips