- Idly rice – 1 cup
- Hing – 1 pinch
- Onion – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tspn
- Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Chana dal – 1 tspn
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Curry leaves – 5 to 7
- Gingelly oil – 4 tbspn
- Soak Rice for 2 hrs. Then grind Rice with Hing and Salt into a nice batter.
- Add water & make a thin batter like dosa batter.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds, Urad dal, Chana dal, Red chilies, Curry leaves and Onion, fry till Onion turns into golden-brown.
- Then add ground batter and stir till it turns into smooth dough. It may be difficult to stir at the end. Keep the stove in medium heat and stir to avoid burning the bottom.
- Allow the dough to cool. Then pinch small amount of dough and make small lemon size balls. If the dough sticks, apply oil on fingers. Keep all the balls ready.
- Boil Water in a Idly vessel , apply oil on idly plates. Place these balls in Idly plates and leave for 15 minutes or till they are cooked.
You can serve this as a snack or main meal. Tastes good even without a side dish.