- Okra (Vendaikkai) – 20 to 25 (small and tender)
- Tamarind – big gooseberry size
- Onion – 1/4
- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1/2 tspn
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder or Masala powder – 1/2 to 1 tspn
- Jaggery or Sugar – 1 or 2 pinches
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and dry the Okra with a towel or tissue. Then cut them into small pieces. Soak Tamarind in water. Then extract the tamarind juice from it. Cut Onion into small pieces. Keep everything aside.
- Heat a tspn of Oil in pan. Add Okra and fry till they are light brown. Then remove from heat.
- Heat Oil in another pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Curry leaves and Onion. Fry till they are transparent.
- Then add the stir-fried Okra and fry for some more time. Add Turmeric powder, Chili powder and fry till the smell of masala goes.
- Add Tamarind juice, Jaggery and Salt to it. Add Water if required.
- Bring this to boil once, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook till the Okra is tender and the curry is thick.
Goes well with: Plain rice and Curd rice