- Mustard seeds and Urad dal – 1 tspn
- Onion – 1 big (250 grams)
- Green chilli – 10
- Tamarind – big gooseberry size
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tspn
- Chili powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tspn
- Jaggery or sugar – 1/2 tspn
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 4 to 5 tspn
- Chop Onion and Green chili into small pieces. Soak tamarind in water for 20 minutes. Then extract a cup of tamarind juice from it.
- Heat Oil in a pan. Add Mustard seeds and Urad dal. Once it starts spluttering, add Green chili and fry for 30 secs.
- Then add Onion and fry till it turns into golden brown.
- Add Turmeric powder and Chili powder. Fry till the raw smell of masala goes.
- Add Tamarind juice, a cup of water, Salt and Jaggery. Check the taste and adjust Chili powder, Jaggery, Salt to your taste.
- Bring this to boil once, then reduce the heat to medium, cook till the consistency is almost thick.
Goes well with: Curd rice